Brainstorm your way to a creative design
Brainstorming is great to generate creative ideas for product development.
Here are some guidelines for conducting a successful brainstorming session:
- Define the design issue or requirement: At the beginning, clearly define the issue or requirement and display throughout the brainstorming session, this focuses participants and prevents diverging onto tangents.
- Invite a cross function group: Invite people from different disciplines, experiences, and perspectives, this fosters dynamic and creative ideas and encourages innovative thinking.
- Avoid negatively critiquing ideas: the brainstorming is to generate ideas, not to decide which ideas best, instead encourage creative and “out of the box” ideas and for participants to build on others’ ideas.
- Start with individual ideation: Allow participants to generate their own ideas individually before sharing them with the group. This is commonly done using sticky notes or index cards.
- Share ideas: Have each participant share their ideas with the group. Encourage others to build the ideas and ask questions for clarification.
- Capture all ideas: Capture the ideas on a whiteboard, flip chart, or digital document allowing everyone to see the ideas, encouraging discussion and preventing duplication.
- Group and categorize ideas: Group and categorize similar ideas, review and identify common themes and patterns.
- Follow-up and implementation: Determine next steps, assess ideas and their potential, and create an implementation strategy.
The goal of a brainstorming session is to generate many new ideas, so encourage wild and crazy ideas and avoid critiquing ideas, be sure to create a positive and inclusive atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable sharing their ideas.
Optimizing Product Development
We appreciate the nuances of a company’s design processes and have the experience and understanding of CAD systems and data management systems (PDM /PLM) to implement industry best design standards.
Product Development is a Rapid, Dynamic, and Challenging Process
– Turbo Machinery Consulting and Design Firm
– Government Program Manager, Technology Development Firm
– Technology Sales Manager – Materials Research Firm